Kingdom

Video: iPhone 6 Plus ‘explodes’ at repair shop

CCTV footage doing the rounds online shows the phone spewing black smoke; repairman, owner horrified when customer’s iPhone explodes in his hand as he takes it into a repair shop to fix cracked screen

Image Credit: Agencies

Screengrab from the CCTV footage.

A CCTV camera has purportedly caught an iPhone 6 Plus “exploding” at the hands of an owner who took it into a shop repair a broken screen.

The Daily Mail reported that on Monday, the man in Queensland, Australia was getting the screen of his damaged iPhone 6 Plus repaired, and also complained the battery did not charge properly.

The CCTV footage shows the iPhone explode in his hands, before the repairman scampered around to get the fire extinguisher.

The video purporting to show the incident has been doing the rounds online.

The footage apparently shows the moment the battery overheated — the man dropped the device as it began spewing black smoke.

The explosion blew the screen clean off the phone, according to the store’s account. The shop had been evacuated and closed for the rest of the day due to the lingering fumes.

The video’s authenticity cannot be immediately verified.

Viral Hog, quoting the store’s spokesperson, reported: “A customer came into the store with screen damaged iPhone 6+ for repair. The customer wanted repair of broken screen and complained of Apple genuine battery not holding charge. We removed the customer’s Otterbox and prepared to book the phone in.

“Then, the customer picked up phone and applied a regular amount of pressure to the screen, the same as any normal person would do everyday during regular use. The battery failed and exploded. Initial force of the explosion caused the screen to come off the phone.

“Our staff extinguished the phone with a fire extinguisher. We had to evacuate the store due to fumes and could not open for the rest of the day. Draw your own conclusions, but imagine if this happened five minutes earlier when the guy was driving to the shop and not in the shop.”